January 6, 2014

Review: Stephen King's 11.22.63

11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King


Hardcover: 849 pages
Audiobook
Narrated by: Craig Wasson
Length: 30 hrs and 44 mins 
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't know what I was thinking when I picked this book up because I strongly detest politics and the size of the book would be a challenge for any reader, however despite the amount of words, I was surprised to find out it was about time travel and a bit of romance. Lucky for me Stephen King knows how to write and I didn't have to read it myself because I had the audiobook.

I admit to thinking Jake Epping was very stubborn when he should've listened to the green card man. Initially all he wanted to do was to go back in time to save a student who'd wrote an impressing A+ paper. The day that changed Harry Dunning's life was on a Halloween night long ago when his dad came home drunk, and killed his whole family with a sledgehammer. Also at the request of a friend who was dying, Al Templeton sent him on a mission to prevent JFK from being assassinated.

After 5 grueling years as George Amberson in the land of ago (the past), he finally kills Lee Harvey Oswald BEFORE he could kill JFK, thereby saving the presidents life and nullifying the past as we know it. BUT he also changed the future in ways he could not have imagined. Now, he had to reset the past by going through the porthole again which would fix the future from the nuclear disaster he'd stepped back into after the president fiasco. Making it a total of 5 times he had to go through the rabbithole.

"You need to go back now, Jake." He spoke gently. "You need to go back and see exactly what you've done. What all your hard and no doubt well-meaning work has accomplished"

George Amberson thought he'd created the nuclear disaster and he was right, but I was glad the green card man didn't pass judgement on him and told George what he'd have to do AND how to fix things. But noooo he wanted to save Sadie, again, (stubborn bastard) because he loved her and couldn't let her die. It bothered me that he would risk fucking up the world and everybody in it, including Sadie's. He didn't know if he would even save her when all was said and done cuz the world would never be the same and like the green card man had told him "Reality itself" would be destroyed.

Thanks to this book I probably never would've known about the real events leading up to 11/22/63 or about Lee Harvey Oswald and it was sad to know these events ever happened. It made for a strange experience to read in a fiction novel

I am glad I read it though.

Favorite quote 

If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!