September 20, 2018

Books from the Backlog - Lolita

Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread. If you would like to join in, please feel free to enter your link @ Carole's Random Life In Books, then spend some time visiting some of the other posts.

This week's neglected book



Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Awe and exhilaration--along with heartbreak and mordant wit--abound in Lolita, Nabokov's most famous and controversial novel, which tells the story of the ageing Humbert Humbert's obsessive, devouring, and doomed passion for the nymphet Dolores Haze. Lolita is also the story of a hypercivilized European colliding with the cheerful barbarism of postwar America. Most of all, it is a meditation on love--love as outrage and hallucination, madness and transformation. 

Where to begin with this one. I first heard of Lolita on MySpace. The moderator of Choking on Sunflowers (a Facebook forum) voted for Lolita in a read-along but I never read it because it got shut down or something crazy stupid like that. It was a long time ago and for all intents and purposes, Lolita came recommended. I'm afraid I won't like it. I received my copy from Secret Santa in 2011.

What are your thoughts? Have you read this book? Would you recommend it to others?

8 comments :

  1. I liked the remake of the film so I tried the book but didn't like it at all. I hated the MC! It's not a surprise that I didn't like the book though as I don't really like the descriptive style of the 'classics' so you might do ok with it. I wouldn't personally recommend it but plenty people enjoyed it so I guess it will just depend on personal taste really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am of the majority who won't like it. probably.

      Delete
  2. This is one of those books that I have always thought I should read but it has never made it too high on my priority list. I hope you do like it when you decide to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lolita is definitely not for everyone. I listened to the audio book. I loved the narration, the writing, the storytelling ... But, and it's a big but, I hated the main character. He made me sick to my stomach. I am glad I took a chance on it even though the subject matter is one I more often than not try to avoid. I don't think I could have read the print version. But the audio was doable. For me,at least. If you do decide to read it, I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean it's gross isn't it? who would condone such things assuming he is a pedophile? Idk

      Delete
  4. I've been making my way through all the classics and might eventually get to this one, but since the movie (the male character) wasn't a winner for me, I've put others much higher on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here. I've read the first few chapters and I was appauled.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog!