January 1, 2017

First Book of 2017 : Heartless

Heartless

Heartless by Marissa Meyer


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Heartless is Books and Coffee's book of the month for January 2017.

Why does Catherine dream of a lemon tree and a rose bush growing up into her bedroom window and wrapping around her four-poster bed? She makes lemon tarts and rose macarons out of them. I thought her treats might be magical, but nothing happens to anyone when eating them until.. her pumpkin spice cake made from Peter Peter Pumpkin Eaters patch. At this point, I am only assuming it was the pumpkin cake that changed the Turtle into a Mock Turtle with bovine legs and hoofs. Nasty. However, In the Kingdom of Hearts lived all sorts of unusual animals. I.e., herons and badgers, kiwi birds, otters, and hedgehogs.

The King of Hearts chose Lady Pinkerton for a wife because he loves her baking. Catherine wasn't going to be pushed into an unwanted marriage just to please her parents, but I thought she could have still had everything she wanted even if she married the King. I mean she should have listened to her parents because what does a young girl know about love anyway? She meets a court joker called Jest at a ball and falls in love with him, and he is a very mysterious character as is the Mad Hatter. Honestly, I believed that these two characters conspired to make sure Catherine married the King in which case Catherines reluctance to marry the King was a bit overstated, and I couldn't see her love for Jest working out either. On the other hand, it wouldn't have been difficult to get what she wanted as Queen. I mean really? She could have opened up a bakery and loved Jest and been Queen at the same time and make her parents proud of her but meh.

Once Jest's mission was revealed to Cath, how he was going to betray her, things went awry from there. I didn't care for the three sisters and their prophecies which became more like Alice through the looking glass or in this case Catherine, Jest, Raven and Hatta in Wonderland.

Cath aka Lady Pinkerton was once a fool and coward but now with fury and vengeance has become Heartless. Literally.



View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!