April 2, 2018

AtoZ Challenge: The Letter B - Barrons Books & Baubles


My A to Z Challenge contains names, places and things that are found in a series of books called The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. If you haven't read these books, which I recommend, please be aware there will be spoilers.


"It smells of high adventure bound in leather casings, crammed on shelves waiting to be freed, of Mac's peaches and cream candles, of Barron's fine furnishings and wool rugs, and the spice of my kind of danger. The sounds of this store are music to my soul the tinkling of the front doorbell which I intended to bang at least once while I was here, the soft hiss of the gas fire in an enameled hearth the quiet hum of the fridge behind Mac's counter."
~ Karen Marie Moning, chapter 29 High Voltage (Fever #10)


Barrons Books & Baubles - BB&B is an elegant yet quaint business located on the outskirts of Temple Bar in Dublin. It's an Old World bookstore previously owned by Jericho Barrons, now owned by MacKayla Lane. It shares design characteristics with the Lello Bookstore in Portugal but is somewhat more elegant and refined. Due to the location of a sizeable Sifting Silver in the study on the first floor, the bookstore's dimensions can shift from as few as four stories to as many as seven, and rooms on the upper levels often reposition themselves. It is where MacKayla Lane calls home. (Places | Karen Marie Moning, http://karenmoning.com/places/ (accessed March 20, 2018).)


If you love books, you will love the time spent in this bookstore. It has a comfy cozy feel and beautiful furniture with a diamond-paned front door. I can picture Mac getting cozy, snuggling under her blankets sitting by the fireplace drinking some hot cocoa while reading the Dublin Daily news, or painting her toenails, but let's get real. Her and Barrons? They are like two wild beasts who can't get enough of each other, who often get their freak on having wild and passionate sex in their front living room. When things are heated, stuff gets destroyed if you know what I mean. In this world, there are not many portals one can travel to get to the Faery realm, and Barrons Books & Baubles is one of those gateways. There is a faery portal inside! I think that is why the store is so magical. Nearby, is the Dark Zone where paranormal shit happens. Anyway, Barron's gave Mac the store feeling he wasn't going to be around much longer.

12 comments :

  1. Jackie,

    I love the look of old books and old buildings but as I pointed out in your previous post, I'm not one for reading literature like when I was younger. This snippet paints a magical, cozy world in my brain and makes me yearn for days gone by of curling up with a good book. Thanks for sharing and happy A2Zing!

    Y’all are invited to visit my all-in-one mewsic, sparks, & a2z post on Curious as a Cathy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old bookstores and there is a fabulous one in Inverness with a big wood fire in the middle of it. The bookstore you've described sounds perfect.
    Pamela @ Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip!" I too am a fan of "old world bookstores". Combine this with a "faery portal" and what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a fascinating bookstore. We just don't have these sort of stores in South Africa any more. So sad. Stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip! Loving my Fitbit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these old world shops; find them quaint and magical.

    "Stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by on the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip, and delighted to visit this oh-so-magical bookstore. I do like a place that has a portal or two, and can shift dimensions as needed. No doubt great adventures, likely of the most challenging kind, unfold here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm visiting form the A to Z Road trip. I was not seeing that coming! Sounds like an imaginative series.
    Heather Erickson Author/Writer/Speaker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great place to hang out in :-)

    Ronel from Ronel the Mythmaker A-Z road-tripping with Everything Writerly: B is for Branding

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I do believe this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return once again since i have book-marked it.

    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help
    other people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful place.
    D is for Diving
    ----------

    Stopping by on the A-Z Road Trip
    Wendy - self-confessed waffler, reader, crafter, Mother and Grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a wonderful place to visit! Thanks for sharing your take on it.
    Stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge Road Trip! Seems like my sort of place!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!