October 31, 2009

Scripture Study on the Solemnity of All Saints




Ok . Here are my answers to the questions:
In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen

Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14
Psalm 24:1-61
John 3:1-3
Matthew 5:1-12

  • What does each Beatitude mean to you? If you live the Beatitudes you will receive the reward of heaven and/or Eternal life. 
  • What gospel value is it calling you to live? The Imitation of Christ ? I'm not sure
  • How hard or easy is it for you to live this gospel value? It's hard if you don't know Christ , so we need to get to know Him and to follow in his footsteps.
  • How would living some if not all of the beatitudes get you into trouble? you will be persecuted i.e: thrown into jail etc..
  • How would living each of the beatitudes become a blessing in your life? In this life it can give you interior peace and contentment. The CCC paragraph 1717 says "They sustain hope in the midst of tribulation"
  • What beatitude challenges you the most and perhaps even repulses you a bit? It has to be vs 11 "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.... I don't like when people speak evil of me or say bad things about me. I usually avoid it if I can .
  • Which Beatitude makes you feel most uncomfortable? vs 10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven."- I don't like pain and suffering . I guess I would need strong faith to endure strong trials of persecution like the saints and martyrs did.
  • Which one is most puzzling? vs 3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. - why is being poor in spirit such a good thing? I thought we are supposed to bear a lot of fruit by living in the spirit ? fruits of the spirit like, joy, peace, patience, kindness, perseverence etc...To me if you live in the spirit and you aren't bearing fruit , the bible says, that every tree that does not bear fruit will be cut down and burned in the fire . So which is it? Bearing fruit that will last or being poor in spirit? Are they contradictive? Is poverty of spirit , a gift of the Holy Spirit and/or a fruit? Not that I know of . I still believe it but it is puzzling , that's all.
  • Which one do you feel called to develop more in your life? Why? For me it seems to have been the mourning one. I have lost a lot in my life and my sorrows are Mary's sorrows, and in my grief I also have been comforted . So it's "Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted." This is true in my life anyway.
  • Overall, what are the Beatitudes calling you to live in your life? they are calling us to live like Christ .
  • How can living the Beatitudes allow you to live more in imitation of Jesus and his holy ones, the Saints? They allow us to live happy with interior peace and contentment in this life. The CCC paragraph 1721 says: "God put us in the world to know, to live, and to serve him, and so to come to paradise. Beatitude makes us "partakers of the divine nature" and of eternal life. With beatitude, man enters into the glory of Christ and into the joy of the Trinitarian life.
I hope this is of some benefit , as it is for me , and that you try to answer the questions for yourselves  Also the discussion for this weeks sunday scripture study is on Vince Contreras blog.
Pray the Rosary everyday for Our Lady's intentions.
God Bless You.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!