April 6, 2019

F is for—Fighting for the Free Folk — #AtoZchallenge


From the Shores of Dragonstone to the cold icy lands beyond the Wall comes the 10th anniversary of the AtoZ challenge... 

Fighting for the Free Folk

The free folk are a race of people who live beyond the Wall. They are more commonly referred to as Wildlings. Ygritte and Tormund Giantsbane are examples of free folk. They don't bend the knee to anyone and Jon may be a bit envious of that. If he hadn't joined the Night's Watch he probably never would have found the wildlings. All they want is to be safe on the other side of the Wall before the white walkers kill them all. The Freefolk aren't the enemies but the army of the dead are the real enemy. They want to be where the dead aren't, because Winter's coming. The Night King is amassing a great army and they aren't taking any prisoners.

This is how Jon and Ygritte meet. . .

. . .When Lord Commander Jeor Mormont leads a Night Watch party on a ranging expedition, it's to gain intelligence on the wildlings, the White Walkers, and whatever else is out there. He learns from his ally, Craster, that the wildlings have formed an army, led by Mance Rayder, a former Night's Watch ranger, who is referred to as the 'King-Beyond-the-Wall by his followers. Mormont's steward, Jon Snow, forms a group that separates from the main ranging party to track down wildling scouts.

Meanwhile, on lookout duty in the Skirling Pass, Ygritte encounters the Night's Watch.

Hunting for wildling lookouts in the Frostfang mountains beyond the Wall, Night's Watch steward Jon Snow and his comrades, led by ranger Qhorin Halfhand, ambush a wildling watch post at the Skirling Pass. I love Ygrittes bantering and when Jon couldn't kill her, she runs away and Jon chases after her. It's so funny. I love the cave her and Jon have sex in. Of course, he would freeze before she ever did.


Mance Rayder: You're telling me you saw one of them? And why would that make you desert your brothers?
Jon Snow: Because when I told the Lord Commander, he already knew. Thousands of years ago, the First Men battled the White Walkers and defeated them. I want to fight for the side that fights for the living. Did I come to the right place? 
From Game of Thrones – Season 3 Episode 1: ‘Valar Dohaeris’ 


Can you guess who the letter is?

F is for ____ the dancing swordsman who teaches Arya to dance fight.
Ned Stark hires him hoping she'll learn how to use her sword that she named 'needle'. It was a parting gift from her brother Jon Snow.

7 comments :

  1. Wow, couldn't remember this one... Had to make researches ;)
    Well this is... F for Forel and S for Syrio ;)
    You are early this morning! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of (letter S is for I changed it to the letter F is for) It was the letter F for Syrio Forel and you are correct. I also figured out the reply button. All I needed to do was set my blog feed to Full in settings. Yay!

      Delete
  2. Yes, “the guy with the Italian-sounding name” is all I could remember. Please forgive me - I read that novel when it first came out! Those were the days when only the SF and fantasy fans had heard of George R.R Martin. 🙂

    “You know nothing, Jon Snow!” - a favourite line!

    F Is For Fast And Forsyth

    https://suebursztynski.blogspot.com/2019/04/atoz-challenge-f-is-for-fast-and-forsyth.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *coughs* I might have that phrase as my Y lol

      Delete
  3. I knew the answer to S before I saw the answer in the comments. I like him, and how he protected Arya. Very brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was brave but also a braavosi fool and he should've killed Ser Meryn Trant instead of getting himself killed.

      Delete
  4. Jackie,

    I like the caption on the gify which made me smile. You can't be free if you're a prisoner for sure!

    A2Z Little Mermaid art sketch series 'Flounder'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!