Welcome to DAY 15 of Salem's Lot read-a-long !
SIGN UP HERE and follow along each day
as we read through each chapter of the book .
CHAPTER NINE: Susan (II)
- With whom does Susan argue in the beginning of Chapter 9? Why?
- Who calls Susan with bad news later that same afternoon?
- What does Susan hear at Matt's house while Matt is checking on a strange noise in the guest room of his house?
- What does Susan later find in the guest room?
- What happens to Matt when he sees Mike return to his guest room as a vampire?
Susan and her mom get into a heated argument over her dating Ben Mears. Her mother can't stand him and doesn't know when to mind her own business. It was the last straw and she slaps her mom across the face. She tells her mom she's moving out. She is old enough to be on her own anyway. Susan finds out from Eva that Ben is in the hospital. Floyd had beat him up. Unbelief in this whole vampire business doesn't stop Susan from going to see Matt Burke that night nor does she think Ben and Matthew are crazy. Matt hears someone upstairs and goes to look. Mike Ryerson is back from the dead and laying on the bed! When Matt tells him to "get out" using a crucifix it effectively burns him and he jumps out of the window yelling "I will see you sleep like the dead, teacher!" Matt is so freaked out he has a heart attack! From downstairs Susan hears the strange voice say "I will see you sleep like the dead, teacher!" I suppose if that doesn't prove what Ben and Matt have been saying nothing will. Susan finds Mike Ryerson's school ring laying on the bedroom floor.